Sunday, July 30, 2017

Bear Witness, An Old Shame

So, I'm writing a novel where one of my characters is a gangster and has amnesia from as an after affect from using his innate demi-god powers. He spends a lot of his recuperating and paid vacation time watching all kinds of movies at the theater and he likes to quote from said movies. None of the movies are real. I did this as a challenge because you're not writing a fantasy world that isn't Earth and including quotes from The Godfather, or Titanic because it would take you out of the story. So I used one from my brother's fortune cookie he got a couple days ago because it actually says:

You will always have good luck in you. Personal affairs.

So I decided the not very useful advice is bad dialogue from a movie called Personal Affairs because the second sentence is such an afterthought as to be like it was quoting from something. This got me into busting out my old folder: Debt To Hollywood, a dead project and old shame where I was going to make a story about timeless Hollywood following the filming and backstage politics of a studio and its actors, directors, producers and whatever. I knew I had to have written some mock movie titles and plot synopsis's somewhere for my amnesiac gangster to quote from. Most of these files span from 2013 and January of 2014. I dumped this project after and then by the end of October, I abandoned all projects I was working on completely and formulated a new project from scratch for my first Nanowrimo where I wrote manuscript over 60k words and never looked back.

One of the better fake movies I wrote I intended to be a dumb action revenge movie starring my Clint Eastwood expy. It's called Bear Witness and in retrospect it sounds like a parody of The Revenant, which I've never watched.

Bear Witness

In the Alaskan wilderness, a scientist toils away in his lab when the other scientists barricade his fortress and accuse him of the murder of his wife and fellow scientist. In an act of cruel and unusual punishment, they strand him in the snowy tundra with an angry bear who he soon finds out had mauled his wife the night before, after she dumped chemical waste in the river killing the bear's family. After the two grief stricken widowers have a fight to the death in the snowy tundra, the man barely (heh) escapes alive to return to the compound. The other scientists forgive him after he explains his story. To save the compound from a raid of deadly bears, the man must wear a fur suit and disguise himself as one of them to infiltrate their lifestyle. After the bear sniffs him out he takes his grenade at the bear and walks away from the fiery blaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment